Fairy Street Fashion from Finland

Let me introduce you to various Finnish manifestations of the universal Fairy Gang who dance the streets and keep them interesting. Most of these ladies I have the privilege to know in person although we get to hang out rarely as I live on the other side of the planet. But I connect to them, if nothing else, via imaginative ways of dressing :) [And Facebook, which is where I snatched most of these pics from.]


My sister knows this girl and said her name is Saara. I love her warm elven look and the handy pockets and bags. I found this pic actually on hel-looks.com a while back which is a website that showcases Helsinki street styles. I just copied and saved the pic because, look at it, why wouldn't you?!


Every summer the Finnish pixie people have parties at Alppipuisto (or 'The Alp Park') near the center of Helsinki. I remember raving here as an energetic teenager, and hooping here a year ago or so. They bring speakers and all necessary equipment to that yellow gazebo and the DJ's mostly play psytrance. 


Laura and rad jewelry. (Check out her shop - 'nouveau vintage meets modern tribal'!) Love those purple felt dreadie things. Marianne gave me some of those when I was in Finland last time and I love wearing them! You can see some of them here where I wrote about her.


Here's Marianne's feather foot. What a sweet idea.



Above is Oona who makes magnificently beauuutiful clothing, accessories and such. I'll make a post of her stuff in the future I think.


This is Mani who also sang on our quite recent spontaneous recording. Photo by Olli Aurinko Ylinen.


This one is from hel-looks.com as well. Super colorful and fun. I miss seeing people dress in these ways. You don't see it too often in the USA - things look quite monotonous here. I even started writing this whiny poem about it but never got too far with it:

As you rise from the bed
and get ready to get dressed,
please activate the imagination
area inside of your head...

Here's Kaisu and doggie, both in warm and casual home-elfish attires.


And yes, here's yours truly, with a flower crown my hubby made me. He taped the branches together. The next crown he made me some time later he used little pieces of grass to tie the flowers together. I think he may have a very fairy future.


Oh and by the way, you can wear fairies too. Sometimes I put them in my pockets or hang them from something or other that I'm wearing. One day I had Mantra in my pocket. I don't have a good picture of her but you can kind of see her hood, magic wand and left hand in the close up. The dress is from Sandwich


Ok everybody, let me see you dress like a fairy-tale-princess-romantic-ballerina-lace-queen-magic-colorful-natural-layer-warrior-whatever! If you do, post a link to your pic in comments or email me your pics (omyourself@gmail.com). It's so much fun and come on, doesn't everybody (at least everyone girly I guess) want to do it?! Or maybe it's just us Finnish chicks. Prove us wrong, rest of the world. Please. I'm bored. Go more fairy. Even once. If you feel like it.

And it doesn't have to always be layered. It can be very simple too. Let me leave you with evidence from my sisters, Kaisu caught and photographed in the forest by our official fairypaparazzi, Minna.


Blog Archive