Suddenly I Found Myself at a Rave in Utah

I was driving in downtown Salt Lake City, heading to the next day’s Warped Tour venue. It was 11pm, P. was fast asleep in the back of the van, and I was a bit drowsy. I was supposed to stay awake until early morning, just to keep up with my schedule of nightly driving despite our day (night) off. Then I heard the loud bass of electric music coming from a building and saw tens of kids dressed in total raver gear in front of this place called Club Sound. Fluffy legwarmers, neon clothes, fishnet stockings, super high heels, corsets, blinking light jewelry, golden bikinis, crazy make up and all that. 
I parked the van nearby, ran over and asked some guys what’s happening. They said it’s a rave, Darude and some others are playing, 30 bucks to get in. I started talking with these guys, who turned out to be the staff there, told them we’re in the city on the Warped Tour, we do non-profit work and distribute eastern philosophy & spirituality books during the daily shows. I told them I would love to come in since I have to stay awake anyhow, and, low and behold, Darude is from Finland like me and this is an utter funny coincidence that he’s playing here tonight!
They then proceeded to totally hook me up and (ssshh, don’t tell anyone) let me in for free. Before I went in, however, I ran back to the van and put on my butterfly shirt and super colorful pair of hair falls, these ones:


Needless to say, I danced my brains out, which I like to do every now and then. I really don’t know what it is that attracts me so much about trance, and psytrance specifically, but I just love dancing to it and falling to a total blissful state of expression. I didn’t bring my hoop to the party - I probably could have hooped on stage. They had many little dressed butt wiggler chicks on the stage, doing their thang.
I got a chance to talk with Darude as well, in the fairy language of Finnish, which I don’t get to speak too often here in the US at all. He was very kind in person and put on a really good show - he had written signs that he showed from behind the DJ desk during his set. I’ve never seen this type of connecting with the audience at an electronic music event before. He had signs saying “Hello again!”, asking “OK?”, referring to the tracks he was playing (and of course the crowd went nuts screaming “Yeahhh..”), and a bunch more, including one with a big heart he drew on it. Loved the set of the gentleman who played after him, didn't catch his name though.


Hey, if you like to read my ramblings, please do become a follower on that thingy on the right, and you won’t miss out on any of my posts. Take care, Hare Krishna, much love!

Blog Archive