Remembering the Finnish Psytrance Scene

Something extraordinary is happening tonight. I'm going to a psytrance party in the USA. At one point in my life I used to go to psy parties every weekend, sometimes a few times a week. (FYI, they're raves where the dj's play psychedelic trance which is quite a specific category of electronic music.) Obviously, this wasn't in the USA but in Finland where the scene is very much ALiVe and kiKkiNg.

There is even a category of psytrance called suomisaundi, or suomi. It's Finnish and simply translates to "Finland Sound". For more info on it check the Wiki on it. For a heartwarming experience of it, listen to this track from 2003 (I think?) by Aavepyörä. It's a remix of the cartoon Tao Tao theme song. I listened to it like eight times yesterday and a couple of times today, just love how kooky it is.



In the summer the suomi heads have tons of forest parties in various secret locations, decorated with UV art and tapestries. I remember going to these a lot and dancing all night, and the next day. Sometimes the police would find out and come stop the party. I don't think the parties were really stopped too often, just relocated :)

Finnish psytrancers keep dancing, in the forest, in the morning:



...and in the forest, late at night:


In the summer they take over the park and dance:


...and in the winter they take over the park and dance:




They take over the main streets in busy Helsinki downtown and dance:



I guess this last video really sums it up and shows you some beautiful Finnish nature as well.


I'll finish off my reminiscing with a pic of myself in a Finnish UG psy party about a year ago :) Happy weekend everyone!

Blog Archive