Talk to Strangers - The Peaceful Program for Overcoming Paranoia



I sat down on a bench in front of the library. A girl was sitting next to me. She was wearing a black coat, blue jeans and reading a book. She put the book down on top of a few other books to answer a phone call. I looked at the book, it was titled 'Pill Head'. Interesting. I wanted to ask her about the book but didn't feel confident to speak to her. I was afraid of her response. Maybe she would feel awkward. Or didn't want anything to do with me. She was finished with her phone call and started to pack the books into her bag.

I remembered the quote from Walt Whitman I put on
my latest hoop video
Stranger, if you passing meet me and desire to speak to me, why should you not speak to me? And why should I not speak to you? 
I figured, I can't be a hypocrite - suggest to others to do something I won't. I decided to open up and in the process, become vulnerable, not knowing how she'll react. "What's that book about?" I asked. She looked at me. She had strong black eyeliner. Like, super strong. She explained what the book was about and we started talking about movies, we had similar taste. I recommended a book to her, and she was glad to hear about it. She was really sweet and our exchange was natural.
There's this whole big 'War on Terror' campaign going on. How about a 'Peaceful Program for Overcoming Paranoia', starting with talking to strangers, for example. So many times I've had the police or security called on me when I've parked somewhere with our house-mobile. How about coming over and asking what's up instead.

At least I can do this. A personal, peaceful program for connecting with others, giving (even if it's a little bit of good energy) and learning. In the Srimad-Bhagavatam there's a story of a sage who accepted so many gurus. Some of his teachers were examples to him of how
not to do things. You can learn something from anyone. It's ok to be vulnerable. There's this strength about it.

Blog Archive