Elven Names :: Super Resource


My dear Finnish forest elf friend Markus has a wondrous name on his Facebook, Markus MaxKuunsäde Rautajalka Karhunpoika = Markus MaxMoonbeam Ironfoot Bear Son. How the name came to be is a tripped out story of maximal lunacy, knee surgery and bear related talks with my sister Minna...


Here are some delightful websites for finding your inner elven name:

A massive list of both male and female first names
Tons of fairy names in alphabetical order and with meaning
More fairy names with meaning
Over 1000 English names translated to Elvish with meaning
Fairy names with meaning for men and women

.
Fairy and Elven Name Generators:
.

.
Please share the names you get in the comments! My elven name is Anarane Luinwe and my fairy name is Meadow Hailfilter, and it says I protect and comfort the lonely. Awww...


This awesome website has a collection of elven phrases, both in English and Elvish. You can learn how to greet: "A star shall shine on the hour of our meeting", say goodbye: "Fair winds" or compliment: "Your heart is that of a lion". For moody moments, there is a list of insults too, such as "Go kiss an orc", "You're ugly and your mother dresses you funny" and "You smell like human".

.
Breath of Life

Uich gwennen na 'wanath ah na dhín.
An uich gwennen na ringyrn ambar hen.
Boe naid bain gwannathar,
Boe cuil ban firitha.

Boe naer gwannathach

Oo-eekh gwehn-nehn nah wah-nahth ah nah theen.
Ahn oo-eekh gwehn-nehn nah ring-ern ahm-bar hen.
Boh nide bine gwahn-nah-thar,
Boh koo-eel bahn fear-ee-thah.

Boh nire gwahn-nah-thakh

Translation:

You are not bound to loss and silence.
For you are not bound to the circles of this world.
All things must pass away,
All life is doomed to fade.

Sorrowing you must go, and yet you are not without hope.


That song is so beautiful. I've been singing along to it all day. Haha, one of the elven insults was also: "You are king in your imagination". Markus appears to be a very real king though:


I once expressed to him my jealousy over his glorious crown but he said I need to defeat him in a tournament for him to give it up. Oops. Alrighty, I'm off to finish a song I'm working on, may thy paths be green and the breeze on thy back.

PS. Fairy ladies, I don't know about Legolas but yes, his royal elfness Mr MaxMoonbeam is single ;)

Blog Archive